Being a person who loves to help out struggling and confused business owners, it breaks my heart to have to stand by and watch as some of my favorite places head down the path to ruin. I feel it is like watching a train wreck… nothing you can do about it but stand back and watch in disbelief. The signs are all there that say, “I just don’t want to do it any more. I am tired, I am confused, I am overwhelmed and this is a great time to blame it on the economy.” There seems to be a tipping point beyond which the owners can not seem to get back their enthusiasm no matter what.
I was going to tell you about my favorite work-out place that seems like it is not long for this world, but then, I asked, “Why would that be of interest to anyone?” So instead I will tell you some of the classic mistakes that are being made.
- The owner has a part time job and is very rarely seen at the site. She has no idea what is going on or what is being said. She is not there to properly train her employees as to how to handle situations in the way that she is comfortable. The unspoken message that is received by the members is “I don’t care about this business. As a matter of fact, I am afraid that if I put more effort into it, it will succeed and I no longer have the energy to handle this business. Secretly, I wish it would all just go away.”
- There is no focus on bringing in new members.
This is a BIG one! It is critical to a gym to have new members always coming in. People quit all of the time and they need to be replaced with new members.
- The employees that are there do not help people to get more from their workout. When members do not see results, they will eventually quit.
- There is no advertising of ANY kind. How does anyone know that this place is there? How do they know the benefits that can be found at this particular gym?
- The sign is not lit at night. It is like a black hole. It is amazing the signs you read while sitting at a stop light.
These seem like obvious things to me. How hard would it be to fix them?
I invite you to take a look at your business and see if there are any obvious things that you are overlooking. Getting a plan together to address them and then working the plan can you help to energize yourself and your business! Why wait? Let’s get on it today!